Rice Krispie Treats are back on this blog again… for many reasons. First, they are a no-bake dessert (read: perfect for lazy people, like me). Second, they are undeniably good. And third, they are an excellent vehicle for other yummy things, like brown butter and gingersnapssssss! Yuh. Oh, and I’ve thrown a big scoop of white chocolate chips in the mix, too, because, why not?
A brief ode to gingersnaps and chardonnay
I feel like gingersnaps get downgraded to pie crust material all too often, as if that’s their only purpose in life. But, have you ever tried gingersnaps on their own with a glass of oaky chardonnay? Even though some may think the oaky Chard trend lived and died in the 80’s, I’m a huge fan and am here to tell you: it’s a game changer with gingersnaps. Oaky Chardonnay (Big Churn is a wonderful example) tends to be super buttery-tasting and that flavor pairs with gingersnaps in the best way. That fact led me to think a little browned butter and gingersnaps would be an amazing combo to add to Rice Krispie treats. Turns out, I was right – Dessert Heaven!
Making these treats is super simple. Brown butter + marshmallows + salt + vanilla + Rice Krispies+ crushed gingersnaps + white chocolate chips = unadulterated joy. That mixture gets smooshed into an 8×8 pan, rather than a 13×9, because it makes the texture waaaaay better. Also, just FYI, I used Murray’s Gingersnaps because they are slightly softer than other brands. But, you can use whatever gingersnaps you love.
I also threw some sprinkles on top because it never hurts to be festive.
Please make these, soak in the autumn/almost Christmas vibes the brown butter and gingersnaps bring to the party, and enjoy. And please, pretty please, grab a glass of oaky Chardonnay while you’re at it.
*This post contains an Amazon Affiliate link to the gingersnaps I used in this recipe, from which I may earn an income! Use whichever brand you know and love, these are just my personal fave.Print
Brown Butter Gingersnap Rice Krispie Treats
These Rice Krispie Treats are as easy to make as the original recipe but they taste even better thanks to nutty-tasting brown butter, crushed gingersnap cookies, and a big scoop of white chocolate chips. Using an 8×8 pan gives each treat an amazingly chewy texture I know you’ll love!
- Prep Time: 5 minutes, plus 1 hour chilling
- Cook Time: 10 minutes
- Total Time: 15 minutes, plus 1 hour chilling
- Yield: 16 treats 1x
- Category: Dessert, snack
- Method: No-bake
- 1 stick of unsalted butter
- 3/4 tsp kosher salt
- 16 oz mini marshmallows
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 6 C Rice Krispies
- 26 Murray’s Gingersnaps or 5 ounces of your favorite brand, smashed into smaller pieces
- 1 C white chocolate chips
- sprinkles for garnish (optional)
- Line an 8×8 square pan with parchment paper, let some hang over the edges for easy removal later. Tear off an extra sheet of parchment paper to help press the Rice Krispie treats down later; set aside.
- Melt the butter in a large pot over medium-low heat. I use an enameled cast iron dutch oven because it’s easier to clean. Once the butter has melted, continue cooking it for a few more minutes, stirring occasionally, until the milk solids have turned brown and the butter smells slightly nutty.
- Add the salt and marshmallows and stir until the marshmallows are completely melted and smooth. Turn off the heat and stir in the vanilla, the Rice Krispies, crushed gingersnaps, and white chocolate chips.
- Transfer this mixture to your prepared pan. Place the extra sheet of parchment paper over top and press the mixture down evenly – its ok to use your body weight and press hard, you want it to be densely packed in there.
- Sprinkle with sprinkles if using and chill in the fridge for one hour. Use the parchment paper wings to pull the treats out of the pan, slice into squares, and serve!
Keywords: no-bake dessert, easy dessert, Rice Krispie Treats, gingersnaps