OK. I understand your hesitation. It’s a vegetable sandwich. There’s no crispy bacon or roasted turkey. No honey baked ham or grilled chicken. But, here’s what this sandwich does offer: Spicy sriracha mayo. Smoky , salty, roasted cauliflower. Melty provolone. Clover sprouts for veggie-crisp texture. And (store bought) crispy fried onions. All between two slices of toasted whole wheat bread. When I say this sandwich makes dreams come true, I mean it is so satisfying, it makes those way-back corners of your mouth water and you can’t stop, won’t stop with the combo of sriracha mayo and cumin/chili roasted cauliflower. And sorry, the texture of charred-on-the-outside, soft-on-the-inside cauliflower on top of whole wheat toast is, like, on another level. I had no idea. Until now. And now I’m here, to share it with you.
Speaking of sharing with you… this week, stress and general ugh! feelings are at peak levels. We’re working on a bunch of stuff to keep busy at the shop and things in general just feel slightly… hectic. Life, amirite? This is precisely when I need something over the top creamy/spicy, on bread, but also good for me because vegetables=brain food. And with those crispy fried onions from the store because, honestly, some things are just better when other people do them for you. Hellooooo, lovely:
After roasting the cauliflower, the sandwich part comes together in about 2 seconds. Fun fact: it also keeps well in the fridge overnight. So, make yourself a Spicy Cauliflower Best Friend of a Sandwich, eat half now and bring the other half with you for lunch tomorrow. Side note: We didn’t even talk about the nutrition boost from the clover sprouts. Who cares – you’re already eating a vegetable sandwich. But, let’s just say they are miniature fiber and vitamin bombs; good for you and they fill you up. High five, guys!Print
Spicy Cauliflower Sandwich
Cumin and chili powder spiced, roasted cauliflower with sriracha mayo, melty provolone, sprouts, and crispy onions on whole wheat toast: the veggie sandwich of your dreams!
- Prep Time: 5 mintues
- Cook Time: 25 minutes
- Total Time: 30 minutes
- Yield: 1 sandwich 1x
- 1 head of cauliflower, cut into florets (see note)
- 1 t cumin
- 1 t chili powder
- salt & pepper
- 2 T extra virgin olive oil
- 1/4 C mayonnaise
- 1–2 T sriracha (to taste)
- 2 slices whole wheat bread (I used Dave’s Killer Bread)
- 2 slices of provolone
- a big handful of clover sprouts
- a big handful of store bought crispy fried onions
- Preheat your oven to 425.
- Toss the cauliflower with the olive oil, cumin, chili powder, and a big pinch of salt. Roast in the oven for 15 minutes, then remove the pan and stir the cauliflower around, flipping it over, and return it to the oven for another 10 minutes or until the edges are browned and crispy. When the cauliflower is done, remove it and switch your oven to broil.
- Meanwhile, combine the mayonnaise and sriracha in a small bowl.
- Toast the bread and spread the sriracha mayo on each slice, followed by a pinch of black pepper.
- Place a layer of roasted cauliflower on one slice of bread and top with the provolone. Pop this under the broiler for 1-2 minutes until the cheese is melted.
- Place clover sprouts and crispy fried onions on top of the provolone and top with the second piece of bread.
You’ll have quite a bit of cauliflower left over so don’t roast the whole head if you’d rather save it for another use.
The crispy fried onions are sold in bags in the salad/lettuce section of my grocery store.