Can we get some claps and high fives for this juicy, melty, spicy, (beefy) twist on caprese salad? Juicy grilled burgers, melty milky mozzarella, sweet tomatoes, crisp bacon, and this new best thing ever: Spicy Basil Sauce. Hey, Spicy Caprese Burgers, I luh’ you.
These happened on a gorgeous spring day that was aching for some outdoor grilling/dining. I’ve mentioned before (whilst gushing about these Bacon Mushroom Swiss Burgers) how I have no grill skills/grill attention span, so, Joey assisted in making these but I’m taking full credit for the brilliance- all the flavors of a fresh and creamy caprese salad in burger form. I had some of this Spicy Basil Sauce leftover from another recipe and had to have it again, asap, in real food form instead of just eating it off my finger, straight from the fridge.
I was inspired by a basil yogurt sauce in this amazing cookbook, Season; this one has avocado, yogurt, serrano chiles, basil, garlic, lemon juice, salt and pepper, all whirred up in a blender. So tasty and spicy-herby delicious. Ugh, I want some right now. So do you!Print
Spicy Caprese Burgers
Juicy grilled burgers, melty milky mozzarella, sweet tomatoes, crisp bacon, and this new best thing ever: Spicy Basil Sauce.
for the spicy basil sauce
- 1 bunch of fresh basil leaves
- 1 bunch of green onions
- 1 serrano chile
- 2 cloves of garlic
- juice of 1 lemon
- 1/4 C greek yogurt
- 1/2 an avocado
- salt and pepper to taste
for the burgers
- 1 lb of 80/20 ground beef
- 2 T Worcestershire sauce
- Montreal Steak Seasoning or just salt & pepper, to taste
- 4 slices of fresh mozzarella
- 4 pieces of cooked bacon, cut in half
- sliced tomato
- 4 hamburger buns
- Combine all ingredients for the Spicy Basil Sauce in a blender, blending until smooth. Add a little water to thin it out if necessary. Taste and season with more salt and pepper if needed.
- Light your grill and let it warm up. Combine the ground beef, Worcestershire, and Montreal seasoning or salt & pepper in a bowl; mix gently with your hands. Form 4 burger patties, season the outside of the patties with a little more Montreal seasoning or salt & pepper.
- Grill the burgers for 5-7 minutes per side, depending on your desired doneness.
- In the last few minutes on the second side, place the bacon and mozzarella cheese on top of the burgers to melt and toast the buns on the grill.
- To assemble, spread the Spicy Basil Sauce on the buns and top the burgers with the sliced tomato. Enjoy!