Well, heeeyyyy 2019! I’m so glad we were able to celebrate the holidays with friends and family over the past few weeks. But, I’m also very happy to welcome the new year and get back into normal habits. Cookies with every meal? Not normal. Meatballs as snacks between meals? Delicious but not ok. It’s time to Get. It. Together. Time to make some Sausage, Kale, and White Bean Soup. This recipe is, in my opinion, like, 90% healthy. If you want to be squeaky clean and leave out the sausage and cream, it’s fine -the soup is still amazing. For me, I still require a little fat and richness. Not to mention, Joey’s “there’s no meat in this” sensor would go off.
This recipe is simple to make and it starts by browning just 1/2 a pound of Italian sausage in a pot with a little olive oil. Once it’s broken up into small pieces and nicely browned, scoop it onto a plate and set it aside, leaving as much of the oil and fat in the pot as possible. Add diced onion, carrot, and celery to cook in that flavorful oil, then stir in some minced garlic for a minute or so.
Return the sausage to the pot and pour in chicken stock, a big pinch of crushed red pepper, and some Italian seasoning. You can use Italian herb seasoning – the dried mix of usually basil, parsley, oregano, etc. At the spice shop my mom and I own in Duck, we have something called Tuscany Spice Blend and it’s as if it were created specifically for this soup. It’s garlicky, tomato-y, herby… I love adding it to this recipe. An Italian herb blend is perfectly fine as well.
Let the soup simmer until the carrots are tender, then add a can of rinsed cannellini beans, and two huge handfuls of chopped kale. See? Beans + kale= baby steps towards back to normal human eating. But, since we don’t want to be too perfect, stir in 1/4 C of heavy cream and serve this amazing, rich and healthy-ish soup with some warm crusty bread. Happy 2019, guys!Print
Sausage, Kale, and White Bean Soup
A comforting and good-for-you soup with crumbled sausage, hearty kale, and creamy white beans.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- Total Time: 40 minutes
- Yield: 4 servings 1x
- 2 T extra virgin olive oil
- salt and pepper
- 8 oz Italian sausage, hot or sweet
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 carrot, diced
- 1 celery stalk, diced
- 1/2 t crushed red pepper
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 T Italian seasoning
- 4 C chicken stock
- 1 can of cannellini beans, rinsed
- 2 large handlfuls of kale (about 3 cups), chopped
- 1/4 C heavy cream
- Heat 1 T of oil in a large pot over medium high heat until the oil is shimmering. Add the sausage and cook, breaking it up with a wooden spoon, until it’s nicely browned.
- Using a slotted spoon, transfer the sausage to a plate, leaving as much oil and fat in the pot as possible.
- Lower the heat to medium low and add the remaining tablespoon of oil to the pot. Add the onion, carrot, celery, and a big pinch of salt. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the onions are translucent.
- Add the minced garlic and cook for about a minute, stirring.
- Return the sausage to the pot, then add the crushed red pepper, Italian seasoning, and chicken stock.
- Increase the heat to high and bring the pot to a boil, then reduce the heat and let it simmer for about 5 minutes or until the carrots are tender.
- Stir in the rinsed cannellini beans and kale and simmer until the kale is wilted, about 3-5 minutes.
- Stir in the heavy cream, taste the soup and season with salt and pepper, if needed.
This soup is great without the sausage and cream, if you prefer a lower-fat version!