So exited to bring you this super elegant but also super effortless veggie recipe today! It’s sort of a means to an end, really. Spoiler alert, the end is pizza with this mushroom/kale combo on top! And a white pizza sauce with an obscene amount of garlic. But you’ll have to wait till next week for that. For now, make this, make extra of it, and save the leftovers for the pizza.
This beautiful mess of wilty kale and crispy-brown mushrooms came about when I cooked it up to go alongside roast beef the other night and, despite my deep carnivorism, it was my favorite thing on the plate. So, here it is for you!
The world loves kale and will almost always say yes to a mushroom , and these two are a win-win together. They’re both super hearty veggies and with a little crushed red pepper and white wine to simmer in – SO good. Are you curious about the breadcrumbs? That little crispity, crunchity addition was inspired by Julia Child in this book. If you haven’t read this classic, please do – it’s full of timeless gems and makes you believe you don’t have to feel bad about loving butter.
Anyway, these mushrooms and kale and their breadcrumb friends make a delicious side dish but could also work as a light dinner if you go for a large portion. Either way, it’s on your plate in under 20 minutes, which is almost as satisfying its earthy, buttery, irresistible flavor! Enjoy!
*This post contains an Amazon Affiliate link to a cookbook I love, from which I may earn an income.Print
Mushrooms and Kale with Breadcrumbs
Sizzly browned mushrooms sauteed with kale and bright, punchy shallots and garlic, all finished off with toasty breadcrumbs. This is a quick and easy side dish or perfect for a light dinner!
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 10 minutes
- Total Time: 20 minutes
- Yield: 4 servings, as a side dish 1x
- Category: side dish
- Method: saute
- Diet: Vegan
- 2 TBS extra virgin olive oil
- 2 TBS butter
- 8 oz mushrooms, sliced
- 8 C kale, roughly chopped
- salt and pepper
- 1/8 tsp freshly grated nutmeg
- a pinch of crushed red pepper
- a big splash of white wine
- 1 shallot, minced
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1/4 C breadcrumbs (see note)
- chopped parsley for garnish, optional
- Heat 1 TBS of the oil and the butter in a skillet over high heat. Add the mushrooms, toss to coat in the oil and butter, and spread them out in an even layer to brown on the first side. After a few minutes, toss and flip the mushrooms and allow to brown on the other side.
- Lower the heat to medium-high, add the remaining TBS of oil and the kale. Season with salt, pepper, nutmeg, and crushed red pepper and toss to coat. Add a splash of white wine, put a lid on the skillet, and cook, stirring occasionally, until the kale is wilted.
- Once the kale is wilted, add the shallots, garlic, and breadcrumbs and cook, stirring, for about 3 minutes. Taste and season with more salt and pepper if needed. Garnish with parsley (if using) and serve!
I used leftover seasoned breadcrumbs that were toasted – they were homemade from a bunch of stale bread and I’ve just been keeping them in a container in my freezer. Try toasting your breadcrumbs in the oven or in a dry skillet to make them extra crispy/crunchy for this recipe.
*This recipe makes a great topping for pizza!
Keywords: kale recipe, mushroom recipe, sauteed mushrooms and kale