Hey, friends! This is my first post for Serving Tonight… pretty exciting! A few days prior to me creating these Harissa Chickpea and Sweet Potato Bowls, friends of ours whose dad owns a fantastic farm stand gave us a whole bunch of sweet potatoes. Some of these sweet potatoes were immediately fried, drizzled with bacon maple syrup (Vivian Howard’s awesome recipe from Deep Run Roots), and eaten in complete excess. Therefore, this night called for a healthier sweet potato. When I set out to make veggie and grain bowls at home, I always lean towards extra spice and crunch to liven things up. Hi, harissa and peanuts! Harissa is a North African spice blend, usually made from smoked paprika and different spicy peppers, like bird’s eye chile. You can find it in the dry form, like I used, at the spice shop I own in Duck, NC, or in a paste form in some grocery stores. The cilantro-lime dressing smooths out the heat a bit but if you don’t like it too spicy, leave the jalapeno out of the dressing. I serve this over brown rice but any grain will work!Print
Harissa Chickpea and Sweet Potato Bowl with Cilantro-Lime Dressing
Crispy on the outside, soft in the middle roasted veggies with warm spice, coated in a bright, herby dressing, and topped with salty peanuts. Serve over rice or grains of your choice.
- Prep Time: 15 mins
- Cook Time: 55 mins
- Total Time: 1 hour 10 mins
- Yield: 4 servings 1x
- Category: Dinner
- Cuisine: North African
FOR THE DRESSING:
- Juice of 1 lime
- ¼ C chopped cilantro
- ½ a jalapeno, minced
- 1 clove of glaric, minced
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 tsp sugar
- ¼ C extra virgin olive oil
FOR THE REST:
- 4 TBS extra virgin olive oil
- Salt and pepper
- 2 TBS harissa spice blend or paste
- 1 large sweet potato, cut into ½ “ cubes
- 1 can chickpeas, rinsed
- 1 red onion, sliced thin
- ½ C chopped roasted, salted peanuts, divided
- Rice or grains for serving, seasoned with a drizzle of olive oil, a squeeze of lime juice if you like, salt & pepper
- Whisk all ingredients for the dressing together or shake up in a jar with a lid and set aside.
- Preheat oven to 425
- Toss sweet potatoes with 2 TBS extra virgin olive oil, salt, and pepper. Spread out on a baking sheet and roast in oven for 15 minutes.
- After sweet potatoes have been in for 15 minutes, remove the pan from the oven and add the chickpeas and red onion to the pan. Drizzle with 2 TBS of extra virgin olive oil and 2 TBS of your harissa spice blend or paste. Toss around a bit on the pan with the sweet potatoes and spread everything out so they’re not all crowding each other.
- Return the pan to the oven and roast for another 20 minutes, stirring halfway through to help things get crispy and brown.
- Remove pan from oven, transfer the roasty-toasty veggies to a large bowl, and add half the peanuts. Shake/whisk up your dressing again and pour it over the veggies; toss to combine. Serve over rice or grains. Top with the remaining peanuts. Enjoy!