Garlicky White Pizza with Kale and Mushrooms
A garlic-bomb of a homemade pizza with creamy white sauce, crispy kale and mushrooms, and oozy ricotta cheese. Finish with a drizzle of balsamic glaze for extra zing!
- Prep Time: 1 hour and 30 minutes, if you are making the dough from scratch
- Cook Time: 18 minutes
- Total Time: 1 hour and 48 minutes
- Yield: 1 pizza 1x
- Category: Dinner
- Method: Baking
- Cuisine: Italian
- 1 pizza dough (make your own with this Pizza Dough recipe – omit the roasted garlic if you like)
- White Garlic Pizza Sauce (see below)
- a generous amount of Mushrooms and Kale with Breadcrumbs
- 1/2 C ricotta cheese
- 10 mini mozzarella balls (more, if you like)
- flaky sea salt
- crushed red pepper or Aleppo pepper
- olive oil for drizzling
White garlic pizza sauce
- 1 small head of Roasted Garlic
- 2 TBS unsalted butter
- 2 TBS all purpose flour
- 1/4 C whole milk
- 1/4 grated Parmesan
- 1/8 tsp freshly grated nutmeg
- salt and pepper
- In a small saucepan over medium heat, melt the butter, then whisk in the flour. Cook, stirring, for a few minutes until the butter/flour mixture turns light brown.
- Whisk in the milk and cook for another minute or two until the mixture has thickened.
- Squeeze the cloves from the head of roasted garlic into the mixture, add the nutmeg, and stir. Turn off the heat stir in the Parmesan. Taste and season with salt and pepper.
- Preheat your oven to 500 degrees and oil a pizza pan or baking sheet with olive oil. Shape the pizza dough on the pan, stretching it to reach the edges.
- Spread the White Garlic Pizza Sauce on the dough and top with the mushrooms and kale.
- Place big dollops of ricotta cheese around the pizza and fill in any big gaps with the little mozzarella balls.
- Drizzle the edges of the crust with olive oil (this helps it brown), and sprinkle the whole thing, including the crust edges, with flaky sea slat and either crushed red pepper or Aleppo pepper.
- Bake, rotating halfway through cooking, until the cheese is melty and the crust is brown on the edges and underneath (use a spatula to check underneath). In my oven, this takes 18 minutes.
Keywords: Homemade pizza, white pizza, vegetarian pizza