Here we are, a couple days before Christmas, almost time to slow down, crush some pillows, and generally chill out. This past week has been packed with doing, buying, wrapping, etc. and we need to sneak some coziness in today before we can fully relax tomorrow. Chipotle Sweet Potato Peanut Soup is just right- smoky, rich, and creamy but also super healthy. Sweet potatoes are true vitamin bombs and their sweet, earthy flavor combines perfectly with peanuts and chipotle.
Get started by sauteing diced onion, celery, and red bell pepper in butter, then add in a couple minced garlic cloves and chopped sweet potatoes. Stir in some peanuts – I used roasted salted peanuts because they were already in the pantry. Then, add some chopped chipotle chiles in adobo and a little maple syrup for sweetness. In goes the chicken stock and you can bring all that to a boil and let it simmer away for about 25 minutes. Once the sweet potatoes are tender, puree 1/2 of the soup in a blender, add it back to the pot and stir in some heavy cream to round it all out. I found I really like the balance of the smooth puree and chunks of sweet potato and peanuts that are left when you only puree half the soup. You can puree all of it for a uniform texture if you like- it will be thicker thanks to the blended-up peanuts so you may want to add a little extra cream or chicken stock to thin it out.
Anyway, enough talking about it, time to treat yourself to some coziness and enjoy this soup!Print
Chipotle Sweet Potato Peanut Soup
A smoky, rich, and creamy soup that’s good for you, too!
- Prep Time: 30 min
- Cook Time: 40 minutes
- Total Time: 1 hour 10 minutes
- Yield: 6 servings 1x
- Category: Soup
- 2 T butter
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 rib of celery, diced
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 2 lbs of sweet potatoes, cut into 1/2” cubes
- 1 1/4 C roasted, salted peanuts
- 1 T maple syrup
- 1/4 C canned chipotle in adobo, chopped (use less if you want it less spicy)
- 6 C chicken stock
- 1/4 C heavy cream
- Melt the butter in a large dutch oven over medium heat and add the onion, celery, and bell pepper. Saute until soft, 6-7 minutes.
- Add the garlic and cook, stirring for about 30 seconds.
- Add the chopped sweet potatoes, 1 C of the chopped peanuts, maple syrup, and chipotle in adobo.
- Stir in the chicken stock, increase the heat to high and bring everything to a boil. Reduce the heat to a simmer, put the lid on the pot, and cook for 25 minutes until the sweet potatoes are tender.
- Transfer half of the soup to a blender and puree it (you may have to do this in batches and move the pureed portion to a bowl while you do the next batch).
- Return the pureed soup to the pot with the remaining soup and stir in the heavy cream.
- Serve, sprinkled with the reserved 1/4 C of chopped peanuts and an extra drizzle of cream on top if you like. Enjoy!
I like the balance of the soup 1/2 pureed and 1/2 not. If you prefer to puree the whole thing, the peanuts will thicken it quite a bit so you may want to add some extra cream or chicken stock at the end.