This creamy, veggie-loaded, sweet and spicy Chicken in Coconut Milk with Swoodles is about to be your favorite one-pot superstar.
Much like this peanutty curry chicken, I’ve made this dish so many times over the years that it’s slowly morphed into almost a completely new thing. The swoodles (sweet potato noodles) and the one-pot method were the best improvements to the original recipe; it’s now officially good enough to share with you here. There’s cayenne pepper, cumin, turmeric, and coriander (from this cute little spice shop: *mine!*) coating bite-sized pieces of chicken. A little chicken bullion and brown sugar stirred into creamy coconut milk for delicious flavor, and some bright, fresh veggies to bump up the feel-good factor – I love this dish SO much.
Swoodles do require a spiralizer. After much research, the Mueller brand spiralizer is what I got and it’s a snap to use. This little gadget is new in my life, and while I’ve not become the glowing vegetable goddess I imagined, I do now prefer swoodles and zoodles (zucchini noodles) to pasta sometimes.
So, here we go.
If you get all your goodies in place:
Then season and sear your chicken:
You can throw it all in with the coconut milk and simmer till it’s done:
That’s it! Soooo pretty, easy, healthy, and yummy! Enjoy💖Print
Chicken in Coconut Milk with Swoodles
Creamy, veggie-loaded, sweet and spicy Chicken in Coconut Milk with Swoodles is a delicious, healthy, one-pot dinner!
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 25 minutes
- Total Time: 40 minutes
- Yield: 4 servings 1x
- Category: Dinner
- Method: one-pot
- Cuisine: Brazilian
- 2 T olive oil
- 1/2 t ground cayenne
- 1 t ground cumin
- 1 t ground turmeric
- 1 t ground coriander
- salt and pepper
- 2 boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1” pieces
- 1 small onion, sliced thin
- 1 T ginger, minced
- 1/2 a bell pepper, sliced thin (I like yellow, orange, or red)
- 1 jalapeno, sliced thin (remove the seeds if you want it less spicy)
- 1/2 a pint of cherry tomatoes, sliced in half or left whole if they’re tiny
- 1 sweet potato, spiralized
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 can of coconut milk (full-fat, not the light stuff)
- 1 chicken bullion cube
- a pinch of brown sugar
- 1/4 C chopped cilantro
- Combine the cayenne, cumin, turmeric, coriander. Season the chicken pieces with a big pinch of salt and pepper, then coat with the spice mixture. Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat, add the chicken and cook for about 5 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the outside is no longer pink (no need to cook it all the way through yet).
- Using tongs or a slotted spoon, remove the chicken to a plate and lower the heat to medium. Add the onion, ginger, bell pepper, and jalapeno. Cook, stirring until they begin to soften, about 3 minutes. Add the tomatoes and swoodles and cook, stirring, about 3 minutes. Add the garlic and cook for another minute.
- Return the chicken to the skillet with the veggies, add the coconut milk, chicken bullion, and pinch of brown sugar. Turn the heat to high, bring mixture to a boil, then reduce the heat to low, cover, and simmer for about 5 minutes until the chicken is cooked through and the swoodles are soft. Taste and season with salt and pepper if needed. Garnish with cilantro and serve!