This salad has me feeling all shorts and flip-flops and outdoor dining vibes. And, super grateful spring is here. Charred Corn Salad is fresh and full of crispy-crunchy romain lettuce, raw chopped green beans, bright scallions, spicy jalapeño, creamy avocado, and beautiful shards of golden yellow corn, that’s been charred almost to death, making it toasty, juicy, and super sweet.
Charring corn does not require a grill – you can actually just pop it on a gas burner or in a dry skillet on an electric cooktop. It takes a few minutes before you’ll begin to see that lovely roastedness appear but it is worth your patience. The flavor is everything and really brings the whole party together.
Oh! Hello! Let’s not ignore the blue cheese dressing! Sometimes the dressing is the only reason I eat a salad; this one is almost good enough to drink. Made in a blender in about 2 seconds, it’s blue cheese (like, a good, salty, funky one if you can get it), yogurt (I can already see myself subbing mayo here, feel free to do it), and then a few more things for bright punchy flavor. I am admitting to future me using mayo in this dressing but, honestly, the yogurt is really great – it adds tang and richness without being heavy.
Guys. Look at this goodness…
This sunshiny bowl of freshness is filling enough to serve as a lunch or light dinner. Last time we had it, Joey and I had just finished replacing boards on the world’s longest walkway in our backyard and were hot, hungry, and tired. Charred Corn Salad, with a quick little cheese quesadilla on the side, returned us to our happy human selves. Good and good for you – enjoy, friends!Print
Charred Corn Salad
A fresh and crunchy salad with pops of juicy, charred corn drizzled with a light, tangy blue cheese dressing!
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 10 minutes
- Total Time: 25 minutes
- Yield: 4 servings 1x
- Category: Salad, lunch, dinner
- Cuisine: American
- Diet: Gluten Free
For the Blue cheese Dressing
- 1–2 oz. blue cheese, to taste
- 1/3 C Greek yogurt
- 1 clove of garlic
- 2 tsp Dijon mustard
- a big squeeze of lemon juice
- a couple dashes of Worcestershire sauce
- a couple dashes of hot sauce
- a small pinch of sugar
- extra virgin olive oil to taste – about 1/2 C
for the salad
- 2 corn on the cob
- 1 big, or 2 small, heads of romain lettuce, chopped
- 1 bunch of fresh green beans, chopped into 1/2” pieces
- 1 jalapeño, sliced (optional)
- 1 bunch of scallions, sliced
- 1 avocado, diced
- Combine all ingredients for the dressing in a blender and blend until it’s a smooth consistency. Use enough olive oil to make the dressing as thin or thick as you’ like it to be. Taste and season with salt and pepper if needed.
- Char the corn! For a gas stove: turn a burner to medium-high and place the corn cobs directly on the metal grate, turning occasionally, until it’s charred on all sides. For an electric stove: place the corn in a skillet over medium-high heat, turning occasionally, until charred on all sides. Or, use a grill.
- Meanwhile, toss the lettuce, green beans, scallions, jalapeño, and avocado in a bowl.
- When the corn is done, move it to a cutting board, stand it upright on one end, and shave the charred kernels off with your knife. Add these to your salad and drizzle the blue cheese dressing over top!
Homemade croutons are awesome on this – just cubed bread, toasted in a skillet with olive oil, salt and pepper.
Crumbled bacon would also be a delicious idea 😀
Keywords: Corn on the cob, blue cheese dressing